Rundukan - Susukuon

Rundukan - Susukuon

Written by H. Joplin Mosiun
May 28, 2023

 
This is the second music video I made with Murray for our music project, Rundukan. It's called 'Susukuon'. This is a simple song that incorporates Sabahan folk music elements, the sumazau with a touch of doom and death. In this song, the susukuon is mentioned as the spirit of ancestor. The susukuon is what I understood to be familiar spirits that assists bobolians (shamans) when conducting rituals. 

The highlight of this video are the Chinese and Kadazan translations. I would like to express my gratitude to Murray's parents, Mary Margaret and Donald Lanjuat for their invaluable help with the translations in Mandarin and Kadazan. Although I have some knowledge of Kadazan, my vocabulary is limited and I find it difficult and frustrating at times to construct sentences. Tapi tida apa. The younger generation should be the ones taking an interest learning their mother tongues and salvage whatever is left of our heritage.

The video showcases the beautiful Papar river at Mandalipau in Papar and an abandoned resort at Kinarut. The Papar's waters turn murky like milky tea as it flows downstream. However, at the 'ulu', on the Crocker Range, the river remains crystal clear and untainted. I can't help but wonder if this unspoiled natural beauty will still exist once the dam is constructed.

Special thanks to Jerry for the action camera. We wished you could have been there to work your wonder. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Kotobian Tadau Kaamatan and Selamat Ari Gawai 2023 to all Sabahans and Sarawakians! 🍻🍻 🍻

Comments